Saturday, September 17, 2011

This Girl's Not Paying $90 For A Power Steering Flush!




It's that time of the year when I have to take the car and the truck in for oil changes.  And of course you expect  the mechanics to come out and tell you what is wrong with your car and ALL the services you need to get and ALL the money you need to spend or else your car is going to DIE!  Well, this time I had to agree with them on one thing.  The power steering in the hubby's truck has been making a terrible noise everyday he drove it and especially when he turned.  So when the mechanic showed me what the power steering fluid looked like I wasn't that surprised.  It was black.  Black like the inside of my empty wallet.  Which didn't help matters because the power steering flush was $90.00!  I told him I would try to bring in the truck as soon as possible, all the while thinking where I was going to find 90 extra dollars.

Later that day, I got to thinking.  Why do I have to pay that much money to get it done!  There has to be another way!  I could call up other places and ask their prices but most places would be around the same.  So, then I thought, well I could do it!  And I bet I could do it for way cheaper!  The problem is, I've never done any maintenance on my car except for filling the tires with air and checking fluid levels.  But, not knowing wasn't going to stop me!  So, I decided to research, research, research.  I could learn how to do a power steering fluid flush and save some money.  Yay!  All my problems were solved!

But, wait, not sooo fast . . . I had to think this out.  If I managed to get some hose out of place and not put back in my hubby wasn't going to have a truck to drive.  But, that didn't deter me from my plan.  So, Daryl and I went down to AutoZone and bough two bottles of Power Steering Fluid for $15.00 and went back to the house.  I did need Daryl's help with this, but he's as knowledgeable in car maintenance as I am.  So, pliers in hand and dressed in clothes I could get dirty I approached the truck with caution. . . There were three possible outcomes to this scenario, either I was going to break the truck, the truck was going to break me, or magically it would end with no casualties. 

And what do you know, no casualties!!!  We managed to change the fluid and what's even better. . . the noise that truck was making was gone!  

 A quieter, healthier truck and $75.00 saved. . . not a bad day!


No comments:

Post a Comment