Friday, August 5, 2011

Flavorlicious Friday


Friday = date night.  Well, it usually does.  But, we've been trying to stay home more often and cook our own meals instead of going out and paying a fortune for fatty food at a restaurant .  So now, Friday = stay at home and cook something new and delicious and hope there are leftovers night.

I didn't want to turn on the stove in the house because it's 112 here in Texas most days and it makes the house unbearably hot.  (Big Stove, Small House)  So, what did I decide to do instead?  I decided to cook outside on the grill in the sun. . .   hmmmm... ok, I know I could have made a nice cold salad inside while enjoying the air conditioning but darn it I wanted to 'cook'!

So I've been looking through recipes lately to try and find a new protein to cook with.  We've cooked with beef and chicken, never fish because hubby doesn't like anything that swims, and the occasional feijoada (which by the way is one of the best Brazilian dishes out there... delicious).  But, I haven't ventured out of my comfort zone and cooked with really anything else.  Until. . . I came across the pork tenderloin.

Did you know that ounce for ounce, pork tenderloin has less fat than a chicken breast? (According to Men's Health)  And According to USDA.gov, a 3 oz. serving or pork tenderloin contains as much as 15 g of protein.  It's also a great source of B vitamins and delivers 36 percent of the recommended daily intake of zinc.  Ummm... why have I never cooked with this before?

So, I contemplated on whether to use a 'dry rub' or a 'sauce' with this pork tenderloin  and decided on a sauce.  I think the flavor comes out better when it can sit in the sauce for like 6 hours just soaking up all the goodness.  But, I didn't want just any store bought barbecue or marinade sauce.  I wanted to make my own. : )

I found a recipe I wanted to try with a few teaks here and there, and the end result was delicious.  This recipe has a nice taste of sweetness to it.  If you like your meat sweet this is amazing.  So, stay home on a coming Friday instead of going out and try this recipe.  If you're crazy like me and want to cook it now in the sweltering summer heat, leaning over a fire go for it!  If not, tuck this recipe away for when it gets colder, but don't forget it.

Ingredients needed:

2 (1b) pork tenderloins
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 chopped onion (you can use dried minced onion if you like or green onion)
2 TBL Olive Oil
1 chopped garlic clove (or pinch of garlic powder)

and the secret ingredient . . .

1 tsp of ground cinnamon


Directions:

*  Place soy sauce, brown sugar, onion, cinnamon, olive oil, and garlic into a large resealable plastic bag.
*  Seal and shake the mix together.
*  Place pork in bag with the marinade, seal, and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.



*  Preheat grill for high heat.
*  Lightly oil grate.
*  Place tenderloins on the grill.
*  Sear all four sides of the pork for about 3 - 4 min. each, that way it seals in all the wonderful juices.
*  Turn grill down to medium, close lid and cook for an additional 15 minutes or to desired doneness.
*  Slice pork, and enjoy.  :)

Let me know if you try this and how it turned out.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I MUST try this!! looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pork lion, I'll definitely give this recipe a try! I'm so glad to hear you're liking your new home in TX. Keep us posted on the doctor visits, you're in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete