Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Kindle meet Rice". "Rice this is Kindle"



Ok, this starts off as a scary story, but don't worry it has a good ending.  :)

So after a long day I decided to take a nice relaxing bath.  I love reading in the bath and since I buy my books on my Kindle now instead of in paperback now, the kindle goes with me.  I am always very careful with my Kindle to make sure that no water ever gets on it.

I'm sure you can see where this is going.  A girl with an electronic, near water.  And yes, you are right.  I didn't drop it in though!  I was holding my Kindle OUTSIDE the bath and then I slipped and some water splashed onto it.  It only splashed the bottom left corner but I dried it off immediately.  

Soon after, my Kindle started going crazy.  It was turning pages, going back to the home screen, and not listening to the buttons I was pushing.  I was devastated.  I love my Kindle!  I use it everyday!  So, admitting defeat, I laid down in bed and tried to sleep.  In the morning I told my hubby about it and he told me to go stick my Kindle in a bag of rice.  

I looked at him like he was crazy and told him it was just an old wives tale.  He said it actually works.  So, I went into the kitchen, opened up my bag or rice, placed my Kindle down at the bottom, sealed the top, and left it on the counter for the day.  

Later that night I gingerly lifted my Kindle out of the rice bag and wiped off all the rice dust with my kitchen towel. . .  I turned it on, hoping that my hubby was in fact right . . . I stared at the screen and selected my book . . . I turned the page . . . and it worked!  I continued reading for the next few hours without a single mishap!

So, this is a lesson to all of you!  If you some how get water on your electronics put them in a bag of rice!  I don't know if it will work with anything else, but it works with the Kindle!

I couldn't believe it.  Have you ever tried this before?  Has a bag of rice ever saved your electronics?  Am I just out of the loop when it comes to the saving qualities of rice?  

So hopefully this blog post will help to save you a few hundred dollars in the future.  Always keep a bag of rice in the house.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment